JETAANC’s Japan Relief Efforts
JETAANC would like to convey our deepest sympathies to those affected by the severe earthquakes and tsunami in Japan in March 2011. We have been working closely with the Consulate of Japan in San Francisco and the national JET alumni association, JETAA USA, to monitor the situation of JET participants in Japan, to provide support for the relief and recovery efforts, and to provide support and resources for alumni, family, and others affected by the disaster.
- Thank you to everyone who has shown their support for JETAANC’s relief benefits. The events have been a great success, together raising over $17,000! Events included the JETAANC Japan Earthquake Relief Benefit, the PiQ Japan Relief Benefit, We Love Japan Benefit, and Drinks for Japan Benefit. Individual alumni have also organized and participated in successful benefits as well, for example, Dance for Japan and Sports4Good Soccer Benefit.
- Thank you for donating to the JETAA-USA Japan Earthquake Relief Fund, the national JET alumni relief fund. The fund raised over $75,000, which will go towards grassroots education programs in the areas affected by the disaster. Japan still needs help during its long recovery period, so please consider donating to a long-term relief fund such as the JCCCNC’s Northern Japan Earthquake Relief Fund.
- Altogether, JET alumni chapters in the U.S. have participated in raising over $360,000 for Japan so far.
- For specific information about the status of JETs from Northern California or Nevada, please contact the Consulate of Japan in San Francisco.
- A letter to JETAANC from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan about JETAANC’s relief efforts and Japan’s recovery can be found here.
- Updated information, resources, and links relating to the JET Program and JET alumni response to the disaster are posted on JETAANC’s website, the JETAA USA website, the National AJET website and Facebook page, and the JetWit website.
We are here to provide information, help, and support to our alumni. Please contact us at email@example.com. For updates, please friend us on Facebook, join our Yahoo Message Board, follow us on twitter, or subscribe to our RSS feed.